Ever since the invention of the computer, there has been a much easier way in which to manage, organise and archive important business documents. While hard-copy documents should always be kept on hand for a minimum of five years, it is not surprising that if kept any longer, the files can quickly start to pile up, making it difficult to keep track of what’s what. Thankfully, the development of electronic document management systems has helped to streamline and safeguard the archiving and document storage processes of many companies around the world. If you have yet to upgrade, here is everything that you need to know about going digital.
What are electronic document management systems?
Electronic document management systems
generally make use of a simple barcode system. Not only does this system make it easy to file and archive documents of all types and sizes, it also allows a company to track documents once they have been added to the database. Finding a particular document has never been easier – all it takes is a few clicks of the mouse.
Most EDM systems have been designed to handle the following tasks, all the while making life easier for everyone involved:
What are the benefits of electronic document management systems?
- Data capturing.
- Document scanning.
- Document storage.
- Document archiving.
- Document life-cycle tracking.
- Document retrieval: Thanks to advanced search features, it is quick and easy to find what you are looking for.
- Document routing: Need to send a specific file to someone in the office? With the help of an EDM system, documents can be sent directly to people and/or departments within your business at the click of a button.
- Program integration: You can integrate the EDM system with other programs that your business uses and relies on.
- Time saving: Thanks to the advanced search function, as well as the unique barcode system, accessing specific documents is both fast and simple.
- Document backups: Electronic document management systems allow for optimal document security and control, especially in the case of an emergency. If a specific document is lost or damaged, a backup can be easily retrieved.
- Space saving: When one needs to store countless hard copy documents, there becomes a great need for additional space and, if you are not digitally archiving the relevant, out-dated documents on a regular basis, this can be costly. With EDM systems, there is no need for extra space as documents are stored digitally.
- Superior workflow: Employee productivity is improved as there are no interruptions in the workflow when particular documents are required in order for a task or project to be completed.
- Decreased IT costs: IT costs can be kept to a minimum thanks to electronic document management systems. This is due to the fact that they can integrate with most, if not all, already-existing programs that are used within the business.
It is therefore evident that the EDMS is a helpful document management solution, making it possible for business owners to enjoy a greater degree of flexibility and control over their most important files and documents, saving plenty of time and money in the process. If you are interested in having one installed within your
business, be sure to get in touch
with the experts at The Document Warehouse today.